Monday, 28 January 2013

The Breeding of Ignorance

Over Christmas, I over heard one of my nephews asking why his uncle didn't believe in God, his father responded with something along the lines of "don't worry, he's going to hell." or words to that effect.

Now, I know he was joking, we aren't a religious family and this was just a reflexive regurgitation of old dogma. But this isn't a dogma that needs passing on to the next generation. It is with the old "if you don't believe what I believe, you'll go to hell" argument that pious bigots like The Westboro Baptist Church 'justify' their open hatred.

I've not actually 'come out' to my family as an Atheist, not because I think it would be an issue, but because religion is rarely a topic of conversation. It's just not an issue with our family - so hearing this being told to the next generation just baffles me.

If I ever have children there are three things that will not be part of their childhood: God, Bigotry and Santa (hell, I don't like lying to children).

No comments:

Post a Comment