Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Let's Stop Dismissing Street Harrasment

Lately, by which I mean the past year or so, this blog has taken a more political, feminist turn. I think that's because I mostly blog when I'm pissed off or when I'm sick of seeing things going unsaid.

I've spoken a few times about slut shaming and street harassment and what really bugs me is that when ever I see this topic on social media or forum sites like Reddit you always see the same dismissal "Yea but most guys don't do that" "it's only like 0.01% of guys who do that"

You're missing the god damn point!

We all know that not all guys are arse holes. But when we talk about sexual harassment and sexual violence towards women we're not talking about 1 in a thousand. 1 in 5 women in England and Wales have suffered some form of sexual violence (2013) those figure don't even talk about harassment.

I would go as far to say that I am regularly harassed in the street. I have been followed by men asking why I wont suck their dick. I have had comments shouted at me from passing cars, I have had men try and make me walk into them and one guy even thought it would be funny to grab me from behind.

On top of that I regularly have to rescue friends from pushy guys on nights out - some of whom go so far as to grab their wrists as we walk away.

So I don't care how many guys are actually doing these things - it's happening to every woman I know.


When you say that it's only a minority of men doing these things not only are you making a completely irrelevant point you are completely dismissing a massive problem. Most women will be made to feel unsafe in public but a man making unsolicited sexual advances in the street. If that wasn't bad enough - we expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment